Skip to content
GEOMECHANICS RELATED PAPERS
- Bruno, M.S., Young, J., Diessl, Lao, K., J., White, N., Xiang, J.,
Characterization of Pliocene and Miocene Formations in the Wilmington Graben, Offshore Los Angeles, for Large Scale Geologic Storage of CO2,
Paper presented at the 12th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Technologies (GHGT), Austin, TX, Oct 6-9, 2014.
- Bruno, M.S., Lao, K., Diessl, J., Xiang, J., White, N., van der Veer, E.,
Development of Improved Caprock Integrity Analysis and Risk Assessment Techniques,
Paper presented at the 12th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Technologies (GHGT), Austin, TX, Oct 6-9, 2013.
- Bruno, M.S., Serajian, V., Lao, K., White, A., Elkhoury, J.E., Detwiler, R.L.,
Advanced Horizontal Well Recirculation Systems for Geothermal Energy Recovery in Sedimentary Formations,
Paper presented at the 36th Annual Geothermal Resource Council Technical Meeting, Reno, NV, Sept 30-Oct 3, 2012.
- Lao, K., Bruno, M.S., Serajian, V.,
Analysis of Salt Creep and Well Casing Damage in High Pressure and High Temperature Environments,
Paper presented at the Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Texas, April 30 – May 3, 2012.
- Bruno, M.S., Dorfmann, L., Han, G., Lao, K., and Young, J.T.,
3D Geomechanical Analysis of Multiple Caverns in Bedded Salt,
Proceedings of the Solution Mining Research Institute Fall, 2005, Mtg., October 1-5, Nancy, France.
- Bruno, M.S., Han, G., Honeger, C.,
Advanced Simulation Technology for Combined Percussion and Rotary Drilling and Cuttings Transport,
in Gas TIPS, Winter 2005.
- Bruno, M.S., Dusseault, M.B.,
Geomechanical Analysis of Pressure Limits for Thin Bedded Salt Caverns Solution Mining Research Institute,
Spring 2002 Technical Meeting Banff, Alberta, Canada, April 29-30, 2002.
- Bruno, M.S.,
Geomechanical Analysis and Decision Analysis for Mitigating Compaction Related Casing Damage,
SPE 71695 Proc. 2001 SPE Annual Tech. Conference New Orleans, Louisiana September 30 – October 3, 2001.
- Bruno, M.S., Dorfmann, A., Lao, K., Honeger, C.,
Coupled particle and fluid flow modeling of fracture and slurry injection in weakly consolidated granular media,
Proceedings of 38th US Rock Mech. Sym., DC Rocks 2001, Washington D.C. July 7-10 2001.
- Bruno, M.S., Dewolf, G., and Foh, S.,
Geomechanical analysis and decision analysis for delta pressure operations in gas storage reservoirs,
Proceedings of AGA Operations Conf., Denver, CO, May 7-9 2000.
- Bruno, M.S., Dusseault, M.B., Balaa, T.T., Barrera, J.A. ,
Geomechanical Analysis of Pressure Limits For Gas Storage Reservoirs,
Paper USA-328-5, presented at the North American Rock Mechanics Symposium, NARMS ’98, June 3-5, 1998.
- Bruno, M.S. and Winterstein, D.F.,
Some influences of stratigraphy and structure on reservoir stress orientation,
Geophysics, Vol. 59 (6), pp. 954-962, 1994.
- Bruno, M.S. and Nakagawa, F.M.,
Pore pressure influence on tensile fracture propagation in sedimentary rock,
Int. J. Rock Mech. & Min. Sci. V28 (4), pp. 261-273, 1991.
- Dusseault, M.B., Bruno, M.S., Barrera, J.A.,
Casing Shear: Causes, Cases, Cures,
SPE Drilling & Completion Vol.16 Num. 2 98-107, June 2001
- Han, G., Bruno, M., Lao, K.,
Percussion drilling in oil industry: review and rock failure modeling,
in AADE-05-NTCE-59, the AADE National Technical Conference & Exhibition, Houston , Texas , USA , April 5-7, 2005 .
- Han, G., Bruno, M.S., Lao, K., Young, J., Dorfmann, L.,
Gas storage and operations in single bedded salt caverns: stability analyses,
SPE 99520, SPE Gas Technology Symposium, Calgary, AB, Canada, May 15-18, 2006.
- Han, G., Bruno, M.S., and Grant, T.,
Lab investigations of percussion drilling: from single impact to full scale fluid hammer,
ARMA/USRMS 06-96, The 41st US Rock Mechanics Symposium, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO, USA, June 17-21, 2005.
- Han, G., Bruno, M.S., and Dusseault, M.B.,
How much oil you can get from CHOPS,
in Canadian International Petroleum Conference, paper 2004-008, Calgary , Canada , June 2004.
- Han, G., Bruno, M.S., Dusseault, M.B.,
Dynamically modelling rock failure in percussion drilling
in ARMA/USRMS 05-819, The 40 th US Rock Mechanics Symposium , Anchorage , Alaska , USA , Jun 25-29, 2005.
- Han, G., Shepstone, K., Harmawan, I., Er, U., Jusoh, H., Lin, L.S., Pringle, D., Koya, R., Carney, S., Barker, L., Morita, N., Papamichos, E., Cerasi, P., Sayers, C., Heiland, J., Bruno, M., Diessl, J.,
A comprehensive study of sanding rate from a gas field: From reservoir, completion, production, to surface facilities,
in SPE Journal, Vol. 16, no. 02, p. 463-481, 2011.
- Oliver, N., Bruno, M.S., Diessl, J., Lao, K., Becker, M., Coleman, T,
Measuring Formation Strain to Determine Hydraulic Connectivity Using Fiber Optic Distributed Acoustic Sensing,
in Geothermal Resources Council Transactions, Vol. 42, 2018.
- Ramos, J., Wang, W., Bruno, M.S., Lao, K., Oliver, N.,
Development and testing of advanced inter-well pressure pulse analysis for fracture diagnostics in tight gas reservoirs,
Paper presented at 2018 ARMA, Seattle, WA, June 17-18, 2018.
- Ramos, J., Wang, W., Diessl, J.D., Oliver, N., Bruno, M.S.
Advanced Hydraulic Fracture Characterization Using Pulse Testing Analysis,
in Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, May 2019.
- Serajian, V., Diessl, J., Bruno, M. S., Hermansson, L. C., Hatland, J., Risanger, M., Torsvik, M.,
3D Geomechanical Modeling and Fault Reactivation Risk Analysis for a Well at Brage Oilfield, Norway,
Paper presented at 2016 SPE Europec featured at 78th EAGE Conference and Exhibition, Vienna, Austria, 30 May-2 June, 2016.
- Vernik, L., Bruno, M., Bovberg, C.,
Empirical Relations Between Compressive Strength and Porosity of Siliciclastic Rocks,
Int. J. Rock Mech. Min Sci & Geomch., Abstr., Vol. 30, No. 7, pp 677-680, 1993.
SUBSIDENCE RELATED PAPERS
- Bruno, M.S.,
Identifying Source Mechanisms Responsible for Subsidence Through Inversion of Measured Surface Displacements,
Current Research and Case Studies of Land Subsidence, J. Borchers (ed), in print, by Association of Engineering Geologist, 1998.
- Bruno, M.S. and Bilak, R.A.,
Cost-effective monitoring of injected steam migration using surface deformation analysis,
SPE 27888, Proceedings of West. Reg. Mtg. of the Soc. Pet. Eng., pp. 397-411, March 23-25, 1994.
- Bruno, M.S. and Bovberg, C.A.,
Reservoir compaction and surface subsidence above the Lost Hills Field, California,
Proceedings of 32nd US Symp. Rock Mech., Santa Fe, N.M., pp. 263-272, June 3-5, 1992.
- Bruno, M.S.,
Subsidence-Induced Well Failure,
SPE Drilling Engineering, pp. 148-152, June, 1990.
- Fredrich, J.T., Arguello, J.G., Thorne, B.J., Wawersik, W.R., Deitrick, G.L., de Roufignac, E.P., Myer, L.R. and Bruno, M.S.,
Three-dimensional geomechanical simulation of reservoir compaction and implications for well failures in the Belridge Diatomite,
SPE 36698, Proceedings of the 1996 SPE Ann. Mtg, Denver, Colorado, pp. 195-209, October 6-9, 1996.
- Hilbert, L.B., Fredrich, J.T., Bruno, M.S., Deitrick, G.L., and de Rouffignac, E. P.,
Two-dimensional nonlinear finite element analysis of well damage due to reservoir compaction, well-to-well interactions, and localization on weak layers,
Proceedings of the 2nd North Am. Rock Mech. Symp., Quebec, Canada, 19-21, pp. 1863-1870, June, 1996.
- Li, X., Mitchum, F.L., Bruno, M., Pattillo, P.D., Willson, S.M.,
Compaction, Subsidence, and Associated Casing Damage and Well Failure Assessment for the Gulf of Mexico Shelf Matagorda Island 623 Field,
SPE-84553-MS, SPE ATCE, Denver, CO, October 5-8, 2003.
- Wang, W., Diessl J., Bruno M.S.,
Surface deformation study for a geothermal operation field,
Advances in Geoscience, 45, 243-249, 2018.
WASTE INJECTION RELATED PAPERS
- Bruno, M.S., Reed, A.,Olmstead, S.,
Environmental Management, Cost Management, and Asset Management for High-Volume Oil Field Waste Injection Projects,
IADC/SPE 59119, IADC/SPE Drilling Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, February 23-25, 2000.
- Bruno, M.S., Bilak, R.A., Dusseault, M.B., and Rothenburg, L.,
Economic disposal of solid oilfield wastes,
SPE 29646, Proc. West. Reg. Mtg. SPE, Bakersfield, CA, pp. 313-320, March 8-10, 1995.
- Dusseault, M.B., Bilak, R.A., Bruno, M.S., and Rothenburg, L.,
Disposal of radioactive wastes by Slurry Fracture Injection.,
Proceedings of Int. Conf. on Deep Geological Disposal of Radioactive Waste, Winnipeg. Canadian Nuclear Society, Toronto, pp. 6-41 to 6-50, 1996.
- Reed, A.C., Mathews, J.L., Bruno, M.S., Olmstead, S.E.,
Chevron Safely Disposes One Million Barrels of NORM in Louisiana Through Slurry Fracture Injection,
SPE 71434, Proc. 2001 Annual Tech. Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, September 30 – October 3, 2001.
- Rothenburg, L., Dusseault, M.B., Bilak, R.A., and Bruno, M.S.,
Waste disposal monitoring using surface displacement field,
Paper presented at the International Symposium of Scientific and Engineering Aspects of Deep Injection Disposal of Hazardous and Industrial Wastes, Berkeley, CA, May 10-13, 1994.
- Sipple-Srinivasan, M.,Bruno, M.S., Hejl, K., Danyluk, P., Olmstead, S.,
Disposal of Crude Contaminated Soil Through Slurry Fracture Injection at the West Coyote Field in California,
SPE 46239, SPE Annual Western Regional Meeting. Bakersfield, California, 1998.
- Sipple-Srinivasan, M., Bruno, M.S., Bilak, R., and Danyluk, P.,
Field experiences with oilfield waste disposal through Slurry Fracture Injection,
SPE 38254, SPE 67th Annual Western Regional Meeting, Long Beach, CA, 1997.
BIOSOLIDS AND BRINE MANAGEMENT PAPERS
- Bruno, M.S., Couture, J., Moghaddam, O.,
Extreme Cost Savings at Extreme Depth: Geothermal Treatment of Biosolids Through Deep Well Injection,
Paper presented at the 2012 WEF Residuals and Biosolids Meeting, 2012.
- Bruno, M.S.,
Converting Biosolids to Energy by Deep Well Injection and Biodegradation,
Paper presented at the Canadian National Residuals and Biosolids Management Conference, Toronto , Ontario , September 24-26, 2000.
- Bruno, M.S., Couture, J., Young, J.T.,
Concentrate and Brine Management through Deep Well Injections,
Water Reuse Symposium, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, September, 2011.
- Bruno, M.S., Young, J.T., Moghaddam, O, Wong, H., and Apps, J.A.,
Chapter 46: Thermal Treatment, Carbon Sequestration, and Methane Generation Through Deep-Well Injection of Biosolids,
in Underground Injection Science and Technology, C.F. Tang and J. Apps, ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam , 2005.
- Civil Engineering News,
Los Angeles Considers Injecting Biosolids beneath Harbor,
in Civil Engineering News, Nov. 2001.
- Diessl, J., Bruno, M.S., Young, J.T.,
Simulating Migration of CO2 and CH4 generated from Geothermal Treatment and Biodegradation of Sanitation Waste in the Deep Subsurface,
Proceedings of the TOUGH Symposium, Berkeley, California, September 17 – 19, 2012.
- L.A. Times,
Plan Would Bury Sewage Deep Below L.A. Harbor,
in L.A. Times, Sept. 12, 2001.